Saturday, April 24, 2010

"God created the"- earth day


So, earth day was a couple of days ago.  I was reading a blog post about a Christian perspective on earth day and could totally relate to one of the comments regarding the post:
"Wonderfully written! I want to teach earth day today to the kids, but I didn't want to do it in a radical 'the polar ice caps are melting the polar bears are dying and its all because mommy drives an suv' kind of way. I do think we are to be good stewards to what the Lord has entrusted us with. Thanks for the scriptures."
So, I decided that rather than focusing on global warming, saving the whales, or even "going green" I would use earth day as an opportunity to remind my kids that it was God who created the world, so we should enjoy it, thank Him for it, and take care of it.  We read the creation story out of Genesis and out of a few of our children's Bible story books, and we read and worked on memorizing Psalm 24:1:
"The earth is the Lord's and everything in it..."
Then we headed outside where we went on a scavenger hunt to find things that God created...grass, flowers, bark, sticks...the kids found a rollie pollie, but since I was planning on taping our found items to a poster board, I had them put the little bug back.  :)  We had a lot of fun!  While the younger two napped, Hank continued the project and cut scraps out of magazines to put on the poster.  He ended up with a few categories...animals, people, water, trees, rocks, and sky.







It ended being a really fun day.  It was exciting to have some added purpose and direction to our day, and I was proud to have taught my three little ones about how to be good stewards of the earth our great God created!  If I had a little more energy I would have made dirt cake with gummy worms for an earth day dessert...but there's always earth day next year!!!

1 comment:

Sisco Family said...

LOVE IT!!! thanks for the great idea... i'll have to do it just for fun b/c i don't want to wait a whole year for next earth day! love you girl!